DURBAN has been stripped of the 2022 Commonwealth Games after failing to meet key obligations.

A review by the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) expressed disappointment the information submitted by the South African city was a “significant departure” from undertakings in the original bid.

“In line with the mandate from members at the 2016 General Assembly, the CGF is actively exploring alternative options, including a potential replacement host,” said CGF president Louise Martin.

Loading article content

“The CGF will continue to have an open dialogue with the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee and the Republic of South Africa and remains committed to realising the shared ambitions of a future Commonwealth Games in Africa.

“The CGF is fully confident and committed to delivering a successful Commonwealth Games for athletes and fans in 2022.”

Durban was awarded the Games in September 2015 after Edmonton withdrew, but last month South African sports minister Fikile Mbalula indicated financial constraints were causing problems.

“We gave it our best shot, but we can’t go beyond. If the country says we don’t have this money, we can’t,” he said at the time.

CGF chief executive David Grevemberg expressed his disappointment at the situation.

“We are sad, of course we are, but particularly for the people of South Africa,” he told insidethegames.

“But, having measured the progress made by Durban 2022 against the bid commitments, we felt we had no choice to take this decision.”

Late last month Liverpool major Joe Anderson expressed an interest in stepping in to take over .

“We knew that Durban was in trouble so we met with government officials (and) made it clear we would be very keen to host the games in 2022,” he said on February 28.