GLASGOW City and Hibernian moved further clear at the top of SWPL1 following comfortable wins over Rangers and Spartans. City stay top courtesy of a 3-0 victory at New Tinto Park, while Hibs, who are a point behind, won the Edinburgh derby 4-0.

Defeat saw Spartans overtaken in third place by Celtic, who crushed bottom club Aberdeen 6-1 but are four points behind Hibs. Stirling University beat Hamilton Accies 1-0 in the fourth match to give interim head coach Craig Tully his first win.

Hayley Lauder got City off to a perfect start with a brilliant strike from 25 yards after just 90 seconds. That was all that separated the sides until 18-year-old Sam Kerr added two further goals in the opening 17 minutes of the second half.

“I gave the players a bit of a roasting at half-time because the game should have been dead by that stage,” City head coach Scott Booth said. “I felt we were far the better team, but 1-0 at half-time wasn’t enough for me. With a midweek game coming up it would have been nice to relax a little earlier.

“It gives the opposition a bit of encouragement when you go in at half-time only one up and the game should be dead and buried.”

Booth was happier with attacking midfielder Kerr’s contribution.

He said: “Sam was coming on as a sub last season, getting a bit of game time and experience, and now she’s ready.”

Rangers head coach Amy McDonald said: “When you lose a goal so early it’s difficult. The girls did really well to regroup and maintain their discipline throughout.

“Today was a gauge of where we’re at. We have a couple of big players out with injury. Hopefully, we’ll strengthen in the weeks to come.”

Both goalkeepers did well, with Rangers’ Jordyn Elliot contributing to keeping the score down. Lee Alexander made a fine save at the feet of Hannah Robertson when she looked set to score.

Hibs had their game won by half-time thanks to goals from Rachael Small, Lia Tweedie and Lucy Graham. Amy Gallacher added the fourth in the second half.

Celtic have been struggling to find goals this season but Ruesha Littlejohn (2), Suzanne Mulvey, Sarah Ewens (2) and Courtney Whyte all found the net at the K Park. Hannah Stewart scored a first-half penalty for Aberdeen, who were only one behind at the interval.

Jade Gallon got the goal which brought Stirling their second win of the season and moved them up to fifth at Rangers’ expense.