FLOYD Mayweather has refused to respond to claims that Conor McGregor has signed to fight him.

UFC lightweight champion McGregor, 28, said yesterday that he had concluded his side of the negotiation process and that he hoped Mayweather would sign to fight “in the coming days”.

McGregor last year obtained a boxing licence granted by the California State Athletic Commission, which would allow him to box in the US state, as part of his pursuit of a cross-sport showdown with Mayweather.

Loading article content

Mayweather is accompanying his protege Gervonta Davis in London, where on Saturday he will defend his title against Liam Walsh.

He was asked about the latest development regarding a long-discussed fight with McGregor, but responded: “This is Liam Walsh and Gervonta Davis’ press conference. Let’s focus on these two competitors.”

A potential fight between the two highest-profile fighters from each code has been discussed for much of the past 12 months.

UFC president Dana White said on Wednesday that he was working on the Mayweather side of the deal.