AFTER a cross-country manhunt, a Northwestern University professor and University of Oxford employee are in custody over the brutal stabbing death of a 26-year-old hair stylist in Chicago.

The case has involved peculiar twists, including a cash donation by one of the two suspects in the victim’s name at a Wisconsin library and a videotaped confession sent to friends.

The two men surrendered peacefully in California after eight days as fugitives.

Loading article content

Northwestern microbiologist Wyndham Lathem and Oxford financial officer Andrew Warren were wanted on first-degree murder charges for the death of Trenton James Cornell-Duranleau.

Lathem was due in court yesterday. They have yet to be charged.

Here’s a closer look at the case:


The body of 26-year-old Cornell-Duranleau was found stabbed to death inside an apartment belonging to Lathem near central Chicago. The attack on July 27 was so violent that the blade of the knife believed to have been used in the stabbing was broken.

Authorities said the building’s front desk received an anonymous call that a crime had been committed in the 10th floor apartment. When police opened the door, they found Cornell-Duranleau’s body. He had already been dead for at least 12 hours.

Police said the victim and Lathem had a personal relationship, but they have not elaborated or released a motive.


Authorities’ primary target in the investigation has been Lathem, who has been a faculty member at Northwestern since 2007.

The 42-year-old is an associate professor of microbiology and immunology, though university officials say he primarily worked in a research lab. Published in top scientific journals, he was a sought-after speaker on pneumonic and bubonic plagues.

Over the years, he taught medical students or graduate students, though he was not teaching at the time of the crime, said officials with Northwestern, which has campuses in Chicago and Evanston.

Investigators said Lathem sent a video to friends and relatives apologising for his involvement in the crime, which he called the “biggest mistake of my life”. The video raised concern among investigators that Lathem might kill himself.

Lathem was under intensive observation over the weekend in jail, according to authorities.


Less is known about Warren, who is British. Warren and Lathem were seen in surveillance video leaving Lathem’s high-rise apartment building the day of the stabbing, but it is unclear what Warren’s relationship was to the other men.

He is in charge of pensions and payroll at the University of Oxford’s Somerville College. Chicago police have said he’s 56 years old, while California authorities booked him into jail at 49 years old. Warren arrived in the US three days before Cornell-Duranleau’s death and after being reported missing in the UK, Chicago police confirmed.


Cornell-Duranleau, a Michigan native who received a cosmetology licence, moved to Chicago last year. He lived in a neighbourhood just south west of the city centre.

Family members issued a statement asking for time to grieve, saying they’re “deeply saddened” by the loss.

“It is our hope that the person or persons responsible for the death are brought to justice,” the statement read.

A funeral will be held on August 12 in Lennon, Michigan.


The day the crime was committed, police say Lathem and Warren drove about 80 miles north-west of Chicago to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, where one made a $1000 (£770) cash donation to the local library in Cornell-Duranleau’s name. Lake Geneva authorities said the man making the donation did not give his name.

The two eluded police for eight days before their separate surrenders on Friday evening in the Bay Area. Lathem turned himself in at the Oakland federal building roughly the same time Warren turned himself in to police in San Francisco, authorities said. A US Marshals spokesman said surrender negotiations through an attorney began late on Friday afternoon.


Warren is being held at the county jail in San Francisco. It was unclear if he had an attorney.

Lathem was being held without bail in Alameda County and faced a court appearance yesterday.

One of Lathem’s attorneys, Barry Sheppard, in Chicago, said he helped facilitate the “peaceful and orderly” surrender and expects his client to waive extradition. He said his client is a distinguished scientist with a “fantastic record” of service.

“I hope that the public doesn’t engage in a rush to judgment against Mr Lathem,” Sheppard said. “The details of the investigation, as they emerge, will hopefully clarify my client’s role in whatever did in fact occur.”